Welcome to the Self-Help Connection
The Self-Help Connection is a registered charitable organization established in 1987 to assist Nova Scotians to take control of their health by increasing their knowledge, skills, and resources for individual and collective action.
The Self-Help Connection has received national recognition as a ‘Mental Health Best Practice Program’ from the Federal, Provincial, and Territorial Advisory Network on Mental Health for self-help and consumer initiatives.
We Strive to
– Accept each individual as valuable in their own right.
– Accept each individual unconditionally without judgment.
– Trust in the ability of each individual to discover their own solutions to their situation.
– Recognize individual strengths and efforts to change.
– Focus on the individual, not on the behaviour.
– Provide feedback and comments that are validating and focus on observable situations rather than judgments.
– Use language and communication that focuses on strengths.
-Treat each individual as equal, with dignity, compassion, and mutual respect.
~Adapted from Wellness Recovery Action Plan
Peer Shared by Self-Help Ontario